Friday, January 18, 2013

Siew Pau ( Roasted Buns ) 烧包


Siew pau. This is the first thing that comes into my mind when you talk about Seremban. Siew pau may have been existed very long ago but it was only until the first outlet in town that carries the signboard " Seremban Siew Pau"  that i actually fell in love with this chinese pastry. I guess it was not just only me, never before i seen people waiting a long queue just to buy siew pau. I mean they are really really good..from your first bite up till your last. The pastry is so fragrant, flaky and i tell you, when you walk past the outlets or waiting at the queue, the smells of those baking buns in the oven can be so tantalising that will cause you to be very impatient that you just want to quickly grab one and eat! I found a page here where they talk about how do these famous seremban siew paus came about. Much later then , more and more outlets opened up, some under a different franchise name but i personally still prefer the one that i linked up there. I"m not that overly mad over these siew paus now compared to before but if anyone were to offer me one, i will still be very happy and wont say no:)



These home baked siew paus though cant beat the original seremban siew pau but considering it to be own baked, own effort that comes with sweat and love, they are good! The pastry doesnt turn really dead soft the next day and you can always reheat them in the oven 160C for a few minutes for better results.





Recipe
makes 10 buns
Fillings
180gm chopped char siew
1 clove garlic, minced

Sauce
1tsp hoisin sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1.5tsp char siew sauce
1tsp dark soya sauce
1/2tsp sugar
just a little white pepper

1tsp tapioca/cornflour + 1tbsp water ( for thickening )

Method: Mix all the sauce together except pepper. Pour about 1/2 tbsp of oil in wok, saute the garlic and add in the char siew plus the sauce. Stir and mix them around till the char siew is well coated with sauce, add the pepper, fry them for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the thickening solution, remove and let it cool down. I put in the fridge overnight for easier wrapping.

Pastry ( from Cook 4 You & Me, with some adjustments )
Pastry A ( water dough)
110gm plain flour
30gm butter
12gm icing sugar
60ml water

Pastry B( oil dough )
80gm flour
50gm shortening

egg wash for glazing
sesame seeds

Method:
1.Using a food processor, put in all ingredients (A) except water and give them 2-3 pulses. Add water slowly , pulse a few times to form a dough ( you may not see a round dough forming but gather all clumps together with your hand, you can form a dough ) Shape it into round and leave aside.
2. Again using the food processor, add in the flour and shortening all at once. Pulse a few times to form another dough. Leave both dough(1) and (2) for 30 minutes.
3.Divide both dough into 10 pieces and shape them into round balls. Wrap oil dough into water dough , round them again and flatten it. Using a rolling pin, roll them into oblong shape , roll them up like swiss roll.
Turn 90C and roll them out into oblong shape and roll them into swiss roll again. Repeat for all the rest of the dough.
4. Start from the very first completed roll ( from step 3) , flatten the dough into round disc and put in filling. Wrap and seal the buns. Repeat this step for the rest of the dough. Apply egg wash on all the surface of the buns, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake in a preheated oven 180C for 25minutes till they are browned. ( I baked them at 180 for 20 minutes, they are still pale. I then on the oven fan 180C at bake for another 15minutes )


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( N.Sembilan Month )  hosted by Hody of Cook 4 You & Me


54 comments:

  1. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesJanuary 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

    Hi Lena, I came across Seremban Siew pau close to seremban highway, is that the popular one? Went there for lunch while on the way to KL, but didn't buy and try. Yours looks so tempting: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi eileen, i'm not sure. But next time if you see they put seremban siew paus, give it a try.

      Delete
  2. lena, Siew Pau also you can bake, you are terror la! I am so hungry now looking at your siew pau. I love siew pau, yours look incredibly crispy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yan..i'm sure you can also do it if you 're eager to learn and with a couple of practices:)

      Delete
  3. Siew Pau is my favorites..... you baked yours looking so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, very nice! So flaky. Have not eaten siew pau for long time because jaga badan. But then kena ngaku chips so I think there is no harm if I buy some to eat now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! eat one siew pau okay lah! come CNY, sure put on weight like that!

      Delete
  5. Yum! I love these pastries and also won't refuse if you offer me one:D Have to find some time to bake them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to buy siew bao whenever I visit my in-law. But not until these few years. Their pastry is crispy and nice but their filling seems a bit too salty for my liking. Making own pastry and filling definitetly nice to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. olloooo.......akak baru nak masak sweet n sour fish, you dah keluar satu lagi my fav! macam ni memang boleh bulat la badan akak ni lena oiiii....grrrr...

    neway thanks for sharing, mmuah! semua ni akak suka...oh ya, resepi seafood yg goreng dengan telur tu dah ada belim? lama dh akak tunggu ni...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bukan belim la lena...belum...

      ni you punya pasal la...masak semua heaven sangat! sampai fingers pun salah type hahaha...

      Delete
    2. sorry kak..lena ingat lagi itu siput dengan telur kan? ok, i go and find that kind of siput and then try making them. bulat2? hehee...dah biasa lah kita semua..makan banyak2, tak exercise lagi, sure bulat lah! malam2 lagi makan kacang putih sambil tengok tv!

      Delete
  8. First thing I think of Seremban is their siew pau, yes!

    You've made me salivating, it's perfect to go with a cup of coffee at this hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena, very nice siew pau... great to go with coffee. The flaky layering look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your paus look incredibly tempting! The flaky pastry looks nice. Makes me hungry for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seremban siew pau too, one is always not enough for me..always get at least a dozen of it when I am buying it..I tried to make it before but mine one was not look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. next time you can try this pastry, it's easy to work with.

      Delete
  12. i have never tasted seremban siew pau but just usual siew pau.. yours looks so flaky.. I would bookmark it when i feel like making pastry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i find that the seremban pastry are more fragrant and flaky..as for the filling, their taste is quite normal .

      Delete
  13. Looks perfect.. look like the sban siew pau! Love the flakiness and I can just imagine the aroma when it's baked..simply yummy, Lena. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lena ! Your roasted buns are delicious ! They look fantastic as well :D I'll bookmark this ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness! Siew Pau also can do?? Fook chor! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena,
    Your Seremban Siew Pau looks so delish! Yum, yum!
    My hubby who is from Seremban says that he has never heard of Seremban Siew Pau until he came to KL to work, years ago! Haha!
    My kids love this and so do I! The price is getting more expensive and the size is shrinking! LOL! Good that you can make your own!
    would be nice if I could have one or two for my midnight snack now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena! Yummy-looking Siew Pau! I like the plate that you used... provided the nostalgic feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, these siew pao look so crumbly and wonderful. I could eat a few at one go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love siew paus, but always think they are too difficult to make :P looks quite a bit of work here huh. Your siew paus look exactly like the seremban ones, maybe a tad less burnt, which is good. Sometimes i think theirs are abit burnt on top.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my all time favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes. I heard this is very popular in Seremban. A belated Happy New Year. Chinese New Year also knocking soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ROASTED buns!! Wow, I could not imagine anything better! This looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lena,
    Really good work, you have done it! Looks delish. Happy Chinese New Year to you & family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena woah...seeing yr post makes me drool of seremban siew baos. They are delicious indeed.. im impressed w e ones u bake too. In fact i am drooling nwn craving for one nw...hehehe... will bookmark tis:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Actually i was thinking to make this Siew Pau for Seremban MFF, but CNY cookies experiments taking a lot of my time,,let me take one from you lar!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena, just saw your messages i my blog! Thanks for your birthday wishes! These siew pau looks like restaurant standard, I feel like having some right now! The skin looks quite challenging to do hoh?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lean, I'm only looking at these and I'm want to quickly grab one and eat it NOW! They look and sound amazing! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lena,
    I am making these Siew Bao now..:p
    We would bought back some Siew Bao every time we visit KL.

    Yours sure look so goid and tempting with the flaky skin and delicious Char Siew filling.
    Have a beautiful Sunday !
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, forget me not? haha.... Phewwww... have been extremely busy. Wish I can visit you all more often. Miss all the baking & cooking a lot. Haven't been blogging much lately. And your siew pau looks really scrumptious. Making me hungry too.
    Best regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! You are so good with everything! Savory dishes, sweet pastries, and now savory pastries/dim-sum!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Goodness...I'm swollwing saliva when I look through your photos! I want to make this too! Hopefully this week...heehee (rubbing my palms happily) (*^^*)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't think I'll make a bunch for myself but I really wouldn't mind trying yours! :D They look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Lena,

    Your siew pau look very professional made and your step-by-step tutorial is brilliant!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful skew bau...love the step by step pictures...they dough is perfect...flaky...
    Have a great week Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  35. where i can buy it, i really love it, but i lazy to do it

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Lena,

    I came across your blog while searching for siew bao recipe. The pastry looks flaky and tasty. I'd love to try out your recipe.

    For Pastry B oil dough, may i know what type of flour you use? Is it Top Flour? Thx.
    R
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi anne, just ordinary plain flour.

      Delete