Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ham and Egg Cheat Turnovers


These turnovers are not in any kind of pastry form, they are just slices of bread. They are therefore called the cheat version....bluff ones.   At a glance, they do look like puff pastry turnovers, dont they? I got the idea from here. When i decided to make this, I thought of an egg sandwich. So i put in some bits of ham and came up with these ham and egg turnovers... Now looking at these, it also reminds me of those sandwiches that are made using a sandwich maker, toasted ones and also comes in triangle shapes.


You will need to get fresh soft bread to ensure easier folding. Cut away the crusts, roll them flat , put in the filling and fold over the bread to a triangle or rectangular,  it's then ready to be baked in the oven to get the crispy effect and enjoy the turnovers..err..i mean sandwich..! I hope there's no protest from anyone...i wonder if Joyce and Zoe are rolling their eyes now.. haha! anyway, my more proper turnovers will be coming after the next post.

remove the crust..
and using a rolling pin, roll them flat
i left a few out skipping the wheatgerms to see how it looks like after baking..


Recipe
7-8 slices of whole wheat bread, crust removed
1 slice of ham, chopped small
3 hard boiled eggs, mashed
2 small onions
2tbsp mayonnaise
1tsp dijon mustard
some wheatgerm ( for the surface )
shredded cheese ( optional )
egg whites ( for sticking the edges of the bread and on the surface )

Method:
1. Roll each slice of bread with a rolling pin till flat, sides including.
2. To make fillings, combine everything together and divide among all the bread slices. Then scatter some cheese on too if you like, brush the bread edges with the egg whites and fold the bread into triangle, pressing the edges to seal using a fork
3. Brush the surface of the bread with some egg whites and sprinkle wheatgerm onto the surface. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 12 minutes.


get the InLinkz code

32 comments:

  1. Your cheat version looks good and authentic leh. I shall pack this for my lunch now that lunches at the new office is so expensive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea!! I am so stealing it and making it tomorrow to impress my family. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really got me fool! I really thought it was puff pastry. I think this is so brilliant of using bread slices....like when you run out puff pastry the bread is the make do with it. I am rolling my eyes now and I must thank you for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever, a good way to finish up leftover bread, a sure winner for the kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that you used regular ole bread2 Its genius and a great way to use leftovers. i bet my boys would love this! thanks for a terrific idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Lena,
    I am rolling my eyes, with a big grin!!! At first when you mention about cheat's version the other day, I thought you meant by using store-bought pastry! You certainly got me fooled! Hahahaha!
    Super genius idea! Now I have something new to make for my kids after school lunch! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,

    Funny that you said that I'm rolling my eyes... ha ha ha! I knew that you are not going to do just these cheating turnovers for bake-along... Just what I thought!

    Nevertheless, these turnovers are brilliant!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, Lena. Healthier than the normal puff pastry type/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turnovers also go cheat, ah? But looks very nice and delicious! Easy and creative way of making sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one , Lena ! You got me fooled :D They look like your typical turnover pastry but healthier .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Fabulous idea & I love this cheat version of turnovers ! Agreed with Ann that these turnovers are healthier! Thanks for sharing! Awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this cheat version! Definitely simple and healhier, Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so clever and creative, Lena. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...that is a brilliant cheat, I love the idea! Looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic recipe Lena, I like it. I want to do this for my girls as their supper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, nevermind cheat or dont cheat but 1 thing for sure is that this is a healthy version of turnover. I looked at the butter which was used just, pengsan lah, hahaha! Good try, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol ur cheat turnover creative wor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Initially I thought, wow, maybe this is the healthy version of turnover because it looked like wholemeal turnover! But wait it is a healthy turnover minus the fat :) This is really a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheat or no cheat, I think this is a fabulous idea! I think my kids would love this for their recess food too! Love the idea. Thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Smart and creative idea of making bread turnovers...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena! I don't mind being cheated!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also don't mind being cheated
    Your turnovers are so well created
    To you Lena, my thumbs up
    Yapping in agreement from my pup
    Wishing you a lovely day
    Hope everything with you okay

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very creative Lena...love the idea of using whole wheat bread.
    Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cleaver idea! I love your healthier version of turnovers! I think I can cheat my kids to eat some whole wheat bread this way! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena, if u didn't say it's cheat turnovers also ppl won't know. It really does look like the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah haa haa.. I'm fooled alright, Lena. So clever of you. It really look like pastry. Sedapnya serve with kopi panas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena, very innovative ideas to use bread as turnovers. Great for light lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Something wrong somewhere, I don't seems to be able to find my comments ???? LOL... nvm , I dun mind typing it again.. I wanna say , hmmmm I am impressed . Cos I kind of like the idea. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena.
    Your cheat version looks great!
    Healthier too :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it! We make this for breakfast when the kids come over for their swimming classes. It makes a good breakfast for us and a tasty healthy snack for them.

    ReplyDelete