Saturday, November 16, 2013

Breakfast Muesli Bars



I dont dispute that some of the muesli bars or granola bars that we get from outside stores are of good and healthy kind..low sugar, low fats , low sodium and i do buy them from time to time. But making our own bars gives us the flexibility over the choice of ingredients what we want to put in, we can vary the amout of ingredients as much as we wished and also we can tailor make our bars to suit our diet, maybe nut free or fruit free.


Having said that, this is still my first time making my own muesli bars and i have referred to Bill Granger's recipe, though everywhere you read from the internet, it says how easy to make muesli bars, well, it is indeed easy and at the same time i was also hoping that the bars would hold itself well. I  skipped some of the ingredients as per Bill's recipe and replaced that with some pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.  These are chewy bars , they tasted great and maybe make us feel less guilty as we know that we are eating some wholesome foods. However, i did needed to store these bars in the fridge all the time as i find that these bars turn soft if kept at room temperature for long...well..there's still room for improvement.


This post is linked to Cook Like A Star ( Bill Granger ) organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and co hosting with Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake


Also linking to Little Thumbs Up event ( Theme: Oats ) also organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen from My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Vivian of Vivian Pang's Kitchen



Recipe ( from www.whatsfordinnermum.com.au, from the book Every Day by Bill Granger ) with some changes and recipe has been scaled down to make 6 bars
115gm rolled oats
10gm shredded coconut/ coconut flakes
15gm flaked almonds
15gm wheatgerm
20gm pumpkin seeds
2 pieces dried apricots, diced
a handful of dried cranberries
60ml honey
1/2 tbsp golden syrup ( optional )
2 tbsp brown sugar
40ml vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 130C.  Lightly grease and line prepared tin, base and hanging the sides of the tin for easier removal. ( my tin is 6"x9"x1" ). Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl

Put the honey, golden syrup, brown sugar and oil in a small pan and stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Pour this over the dry ingredients in the bowl and stir till everything is well combined, mixing with your hands if necessary.

Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 mins, or until golden brown. Cut into bars while still warm.


23 comments:

  1. Lately I prefer oats in cookies form. Much easier to handle and store. Your muesli bars are nicely cut. I love to have this kind of snack at anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really beginning to like this Bill Granger, Lena. I must check out his books. I'm not always happy with muesli bars I buy at the store but I must say, yours look just perfect. The combination of all that healthy goodness must taste delicious and your presentation is quite enticing:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to use oatmeal in my bakes lately. Your muesli bars look so perfect for any time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wanna munch into one of these now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muesli bars are so evenly cut. Some store bought muesli bars are way too sweet. Home made is still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely amazing!The healthiest and yummiest snack!
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade is definitely way better than the store one! These look so beautiful and wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena your wholesome muesli bars look good. Homemade ones are always better as we can always include whatever we fancy. I am also looking for ways to improve my muesli bars, like yours mine have to be kept in the fridge to prevent them from getting soft. Whereas the store bought ones are much harder and no need to be refrigerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know if you can find better ways to prevent them from getting soft ..:)

      Delete
  9. I have never tried making muesli bars, must try one day since the steps don't sound difficult. Looking at yours is encouraging me to eat healthier :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You cut yours so neatly! I always have difficulty cutting them from the few times I made breakfast bars or flapjacks…they stick so easily! nowadays I am into granola which is just as good!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a yummy post. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These bars make a good nutritious breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena it looks good to me. Hmm can consider bake some of these muesli bars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like Jeanny mentioned you cut it so neatly.
      So can we stored in the fridge for longer time consuming?

      Delete
    2. yes, i wrap them individually with foil paper and keep in the fridge.

      Delete
  14. I have always been meaning to make my own granola bars! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look perfect! My daughter would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I love these breakfast bars. Home made ones like these are great compared to those from the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, must be Malaysia's hot climate tht just makes everything melt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena,

    I remember this recipe!!! I asked my son if he wants me to bake these bars for him but they told me that they are too healthy for him :p

    Can't eat all of these by myself and so I didn't bake this :p

    I think Yen is right... The warm weather must have soften the texture of the bars on the next day.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete