Monday, November 25, 2013

Italian Almond Tart




This recipe has been picked by my buddy, Zoe for our bake along #55...and just as i was checking the number #55 to type in here, i am thinking, wow..me, Joyce and Zoe  have been baking together for more than 2 years now..feel a little proud actually.. not about any kind of achievement but never really expected that the three of us can work together to this far and still staying so committed to the event..:))) feeling appreciative too.


Looking at the recipe, there's an essential ingredient needed..almond paste. This is my first time working with almond paste. At time i can be that lazy that i didnt even bother to check how to make my own almond paste, i just checked with both of them how to make it and they were kind and fast to reply me. Also in the book, it says that do not subsitute marzipan for almond paste as it could alter the flavour and texture of the dessert but can use the ones from the cans if it's available at your place but it's really easy to make just with 3 ingredients, you can get it done within minutes and can also make ahead. The basic tart recipe here is also easy to manage and i worked it right away after the dough has been formed, not necessary to chill the dough.

I am not sure if this almond tart is the same as frangipane tart or another variant because i see similarities in both of them. It is nutty and the filling is almost cake alike and that layer of jam makes it even more delicious. Bake Along is going to take a short break and will be back on Dec23, with Christmas Yule Log. Do join us!



Recipe ( from Williams-Sonoma Baking Book )
makes one 7 inch tart
Basic Tart Dough
100gm plain flour
45gm sugar
1/2 egg yolk
1tbsp ice water, plus more if needed
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
63gm cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes

Method ( by food processor )
In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk, the iced water and vanilla. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse till the mixture resembles coarse meal with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the egg mixture and pulse just until the dough pulls together. If dough is dry, mix in more water little at a time.

Lightly flour the rolling pin and roll the dough out between 2 plastic sheets. Roll it to about 3mm thick and a little wider than the circumference of the pie pan. Lift up the plastic wrap and slowly transfer to the pie pan. Press the dough onto the bottom and into the sides of the pan and then trim the dough. If any part of the dough breaks during shaping, just pinch a small dough you trimmed off and seal it. Blind bake the tart shell for about 25-35mins at 190C. I placed some uncooked read beans on a piece of foil paper and then placed on top of the shell. Bake till the the dough is dry, can lift the foil paper to check the dough. When the dough has baked for about 30 mins, i removed the foil paper and beans and further bake for 5 mins till the dough is dry.

Ingredients for fillings
63gm unsalted butter, softened
125gm almond paste ( recipe below), cut into 1 inch cubes
30gm sugar
1 egg
30gm plain flour
some sliced almonds for sprinkling ( i used a mixture of almond flakes and chopped pistachios )
some jam for spreading the base of the tart

Method:
Preheat the oven at 180C. In a bowl, sing an eecric mixer on medium speed or whisk, beat butter until smooth. Add the almond paste, one piece at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. While continuing to beat, sprinkle in the sugar. Add the egg, mixing well and stir in the flour.

Spread the jam evenly in the bottom of the baked tart shell. Spoon in the almond paste mixture and spread evenly over the jam. Sprinkle the surface evenly with the sliced almonds or nuts.

Bake until the filling is golden and the middle is firm, about 35-45 minutes. Transfer the tart to a wire rack and let cool completely.

almond paste, just out from the fridge. I made this a day ahead

Recipe for almond paste ( from Kitchen Flavours )
75gm ground almonds
45gm sifted icing sugar
just about 1/2 of an egg white
pinch of salt

Combine ground almonds , sifted icing sugar and salt and slowly add in the egg whites till it becomes a dough. You can use a dough scraper to combine. You can make them one day ahead , keep them in the fridge.



19 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , pass me a slice please , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I'm happy to bake this tart too... Happy that you like your tart. Happy that I have tried making my own almond paste for the first time and it works. Happy that this tart is yummy. Happy that we have baking along this much together :)

    Yours with pistachio look great :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. just had a slice at Zoe's and am now popping here to have yours... how can i resist it when this is so highly rated? 2 servings please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena, that is really a gorgeous looking tart with pistachio and almond flakes topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,
    I just dropped by Zoe's place. Am loving her divine almond tart and now I am drooling over your lovely almond tart with pistachio added.
    Wow! #55 bake... You girls rock! Bake Along event have always been my favorite event although I sometime can't participate in all the bakes :p Two thumbs up for this wonderful event!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena,
    Thanks to both you and Zoe for being my no 1 baking buddies! Time really flies, and am looking forward to another year of fun baking with Bake-Along!
    This tart is very good, I really like it a lot. I'm enjoying it mostly on my own. Daughter does not like nuts, and hubby is reducing his intake of nuts, so I freeze the slices and enjoy a piece whenever I want. There's two pieces left for me to enjoy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might need almond paste recipe for one of the cake that I am going to make, will refer to the recipe here..this sound like a nice tart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena,
    Nice tart. Wish to have a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zoe, Joyce & Lena,

    Thank you for organising such a meaningful events.
    I enjoy baking along with you girls but some recipes seems bit too challenging for me. Nevertheless, I'll try to catch up :D

    Keep going! 加油!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything with almond paste has to be good. Yum Yum. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful bake Lena.
    Very dedicated group, thumbs up ladies :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, all three of you should be proud of yourselves, at #55, you girls have achieve a feat! I like the addition of pistachios in your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We adore almonds! The tart looks super with that perfect crust, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this but no more almond meal and I have told myself to take a break from baking cakes and cookies otherwise I will run out of steam when the festive seasons come around! Looking at your lovely tart, I am so drooling and itching to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, I really want to taste this tart. I must buy a tart pan but I know it will probably collect dust before I actually get started. Haiz!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After looking at several of your almond tarts, I really do want to make one too. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh...these are nice looking babies. Wish I can try each of them. haha....
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena , thank you ! I'll drop by later to get my share of your fantastic-looking tart lol The crust itself it worth drooling over - it is beautifully-made :D

    ReplyDelete