Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pad See Ew ( Thai Stir Fried Flat Noodles )




I find that this dish is quite similar to our local Char Kuey Teow except that they use chinese broccoli whereas our local fried kuey teow has chives and bean sprouts. You know, last time when i tried frying flat noodles at home, they always end up breaking and also sticks to the wok. Although i dont fry this noodles often but if i do,  i will use a big soup ladle to fry..just like how the vendors do it..I find that it's easier stirring noodles around the wok without breaking them much .


A very easy stir fry noodles dish with minimal ingredients and serve it with some vinegar and chilli flakes or bird's eye chilli, it's nice. Makes a very satisfying quick dish on the table.


Recipe ( from thaitable.com )
serves 2
400-500gm ( 1lb) wide fresh flat noodles
1tbsp dark soya sauce ( 1 used dark caramel sauce )
2tbsp light soya sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 cup thinly sliced pork
1tbsp sugar
2-3 stalks chinese broccoli/ kai lan, cut into 2inches long

Method :
1. Heat a wok to a high heat and then 2 tablespoon of oil . Put in the chopped garlic and stir. Add in the sliced pork and cook till they are cooked. Add the rice noodles.
2. Stir to break up the noodles, add in the dark soy sauce and light sauce sauce , followed by the sugar. Stir to mix so that the noodles are fully coated with the seasoning. Add in the chinese broccoli.
3. Push the noodles to the side of the wok, add a little oil and break in the egg. Scramble the egg till it almost cooked and fold in the noodles and give it a quick stir. Turn off the heat.
4. Remove to a serving plate and sprinkle with with pepper if desired. Serve with some condiments like ground chilli peppers and vinegar.



I am submitting this dish to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) November Month hosted by frozen wings



7 comments:

  1. I've been looking for that caramel sauce here but so far , nothing :P One of my fave noodles and it looks mouthwatering ! Yup , another stir-fried rice noodles to cook :D Beautiful photos , Lena !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,
    One plate Pad See Ew please! Looks delicious!
    I've noticed that Kai Lan is used very often in Thai noodles too, though I still prefer our local choy sum, but it is still a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can eat this every day! The stir-fry looks homey and delicious, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a serious detox programme this week... Now.... This post is not friendly for my detox.... Mm... Feast to the eye... Stomach growling.... How?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, love Pad See Ew too! One plate for me please....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was actually eyeing this recipe as i saw it on Bill Granger... it sure looks really delicious. Just like our char kuay teow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just what I need now. Should be brunch :D I wish there's Msian kopitiam here where I can just go and sit down, relax and enjoy some Msian delicacies! You want to come here and open one? I will be your regular customer. Oh......and my friends too :D

    ReplyDelete