Monday, November 18, 2013

Thai Green Curry Chicken ( Gang Kew Waan Gai )


It is Thai food again! Green curry is one popular Thai food, not only just to us asians here but also in the western world. It is very aromatic and so rich in flavour ..and is one of my curry comforting dish..ok, curry can also be comforting , right?

I made the curry paste by pounding all the ingredients needed and if you are using a good quality ready made green curry paste, i dont see any problem with that. Quite a long list of ingredients to be pounded here, it's okay since all these are easily found at my place here. Get ready the mortar and the pestle and pound, pound pound ..and at the end you will see this..



some of the ingredients to be pounded..


Thai eggplant and pea eggplant..i got mine from malay stalls

When i read the recipe i noticed that there's something new here that i learn from cooking this thai curry that is by boiling the coconut milk first. Boil them till the coconut milk breaks up where we can see 2 separate layers, this takes probably around 4-5 minutes with low medium heat , stir and fry them and we can see the coconut milk has turned into some kind of a thick paste.I did watched some youtube videos and see how some are doing it this way too and it is said that this way it will get more flavour out of the curry....anyway this method is just to share with all of you :)

like this..


I will be away and be back by end of the week and i will catch up with all of my blogger friends and your posts when i'm back. Happy cooking!

I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) November 2013 hosted by frozen wings


Recipe ( from Oriental Cuisine March 2007 issue ) with some changes
Ingredients
1/2 a chicken, cut into pieces
6 Thai eggplant, cut into halves
20 pieces pea eggplant
6 pieces kaffir lime leaves, slightly bruised
1 stalk of basil leaves
1/2 bowl ( 100ml ) thick coconut milk

Green Curry Paste ( pounded )
10 pieces green chilli
8 pcs shallot
5 pips garlic
1 small piece galangal , about thumbsize
2 stalks lemongrass, white and some green parts
2 slices ginger
5 pieces of corainder roots
kaffir lime skin from 1 lime
1 tsp belacan/ shrimp paste
1/2 tsp cumin powder

Seasoning
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
3 bowls of thin santan ( 250ml santan + 350ml water )
dash of salt

Method:
1.  Boil the 1/2 bowl of thick santan in a wok on low medium heat until oil emerged, this takes probably  around few minutes.. Once you see the oil has been separated from the coconut milk, add in the green curry paste ( pounded ingredients ) in 3 separate batches ,  stir each batch into the coconut milk and saute till fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces, egg plants and kaffir lime leaves. You can add in a bit of thin coconut milk to stir fry the chicken a little.
2. Add in all of the thin santan and bring them to a boil, then add seasoning to taste. When the chicken is cooked, add in the basil leaves and dish out.


I am also linking this post to Cook Your Books #6 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

23 comments:

  1. Hi Lena!

    Oh how I love this recipe. I actually have a little Thai book with a similar recipe in it that I've been wanting to make forever! Good clue about the coconut milk. Who knew, lol...

    This dish must be so fragrant and delicious, I can just imagine. Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...enjoy your break:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, 1st time of seeing pea eggplant, so tiny! I love your green curry! Looks yummy there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tiny little eggplant. Too bad I can't find it here. I like Thai green curry but prefer to cook it myself with the readymade paste. I find those from the restaurant tend to be too sweet for our Asian palate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena,
    You so rajin, pound, pound, pound! Lazy me would use the blender instead!
    This dish looks so delicious, must tambah nasi!
    Enjoy your break! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena! I love green curry. So lemak and fragrant. It is better to pound as it brings out the aroma and flavours better. But most of the time I am lazy and use blender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my eyes just had a wonderful feast.... like Joyce, i need rice now to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pound, pound, pound does give better results, the photo tells :) The curry must have been delicious. I learned something new about the coconut milk bit too oh and another about the pea eggplant, i have never seen them before this :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, I would love a taste of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena , It just looks so yummy , enjoy your time away thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Thai green curry and this makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful Lena, I can almost smell the intoxicating aroma through the screen. Thai is my favorite cuisine, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...love the colour of your green curry. Much better than mine ones. The gravy is just so scrumptious that I can finish the whole pot of it. haha....
    Enjoy your week ahead & Happy school holiday.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you make your own green curry paste.It makes everything so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to try this recipe one day! Don't think i can find those tiny egg plants here..... maybe i can replace them with green peas ??

    Cheers,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never made green curry paste...looks delicious with all the spices in it...I love the combination of hot, sour, creamy...every bite is packed with flavor...yum!
    Thanks for the recipe Lena and hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the green curry flare to this soup. You make it look so easy! I need you to come to my house and make this for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Curries are so delicious but so much work before you get to enjoy it:P I love this a lot but not the cooking part! Yours look so authentic and the sauce so thick, just the way I like my curries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll buy those Thai eggplants when I cook another batch of green curry next time :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely vibrant food for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lena, how are you?

    You are good in cooking, I can't believe that you started with zero in cooking. Now you are just too good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never seen, let alone tasted, both eggplants. They look so fun! The curry must be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never try my hand with Thai green curry, your version sound so good! next time if I want to try out, I know where to get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete