Thursday, March 20, 2014

Marbled Butter Cake


It is always exciting making a marble cake, not so much excited into eating it but rather more excited to see how the marble turns out when the cake is cut. It's fun doing the marbling thing. I have baked 2 marble cakes, both Martha Stewart's recipes; well actually the 2nd recipe i got it from Sharon's site, using Martha's recipe as a guide, some changes has been made. One uses cocoa powder and the 2nd one uses semisweet chocolate or dark choc in mine. It has been a while since i last baked and when i started back to bake , i baked 3 marble cakes. One flopped and these 2 made it. No, not that i'm obsessed with marble cakes but just trying out to see if i can achieve a better looking swirls.

this is the 1st one that uses cocoa powder


this is the 2nd one with chocolate. Chocolate Marble Cake

The 1st one looks pretty okay to me and the 2nd one ( call it chocolate marble cake )..hmm..the pattern didnt turn out as appealing as the 1st one. What i did to the first cake was basically follow the steps in making a zebra cake, put the plain batter on the centre of the loaf pan, followed by the cocoa batter on top of it, i do need to tilt the pan left and right a little to spread it out. And what i did the the chocolate marble one was just dollop the plain and chocolate batter here and there. Both of these cakes are nice, they are moist and soft but if i really hv to pick one, i will choose the chocolate marble cake, it is more tender and the tastes better...so in the end..it is still the taste that matters, my less attractive one wins..hehe..


Recipe ( from marthastewart.com )
113gm butter , softened
220gm cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt ( omitted )
1 cup sugar ( reduced to 150gm )
3 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4cup plus 1 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F/177C and butter and line a 9"x5" loaf pan. Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla, add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Set aside 1/3 of the batter.
3.In a bowl, mix cocoa powder and 1/4plus 2 tbsp boiling water until smooth. Add the cocoa mixture to the reserved 1/3 cake batter, stir until well combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans, alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and cocoa mixture or any way you like to create a marble effect. Bake, rotating halfway until a cake tester comes out clean 40-50 minutes, transfer pan to rack for 10 minutes, turn out can from pan and cool completely on the rack.


Chocolate Marble Cake ( from featsoffeasts , adapted slightly from marthastewart.com )
Ingredients
225gm salted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
11/4cup all purpose flour
`/2tsp salt ( omitted )
3/4tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract ( omitted )
1 cup milk
4 oz semi sweet chocolate /bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Directions
1. Butter and line a 9"x5" loaf pan, In a heatproof bowl over simmering water, melt the chocolate.
2.Preheat oven to 180C ( i set mine at 175C) . Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
3. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is properly mixed in before adding the next one. Add in vanilla.
4.Add in the flour and milk in alternate batches. Flour first and then milk and so on.
5. Pour half of the cake batter into the melted chocolate. Fold in gently till well mixed. Drop large spoonfuls of chocolate batter, then plain batter till the pan is filled. Using your spatula or a knife, swirl the batter gently in number 8 motion only once or swirl anyway to create marble effect.
6. Bake for 1.5hrs. ( I baked mine for 1 hour and 15mins ) and if the top seems brown quickly, cover with foil. Check the cake after an hour to see if the cake is done. Remove from oven and when it's a little cooler, remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.



 If you are interested in making a marble cake, join JoyceZoe and myself and link it us by March 29 2014. It can be any flavour you wish, chocolate, cocoa, matcha, coffee...Bake Along will be taking another break in the month of April and will be back with Chocolate Cake Theme for our 3rd Anniversary on May05, 2014.  hope yo see you joining us. Cheers! get the InLinkz code


Also linking this post to Cook Like A Star, All Stars Anniversary organised by ZoeJoyce and also Mich of Piece of Cake


39 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,
    I had fun baking the marble cake, which I have not baked for quite sometime, and one that I have been thinking of baking for ages! Thanks for choosing this theme! :)
    It is always exciting seeing how the swirls will turn out each time we bake a marble cake!
    Both your swirls looks wonderful to me. This is the kind of cake that is perfect for snacking anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I know that you like marble butter cake... I remember you have choose something similar for THB too :D Wow! You have baked 2 marbled cakes and their swirls are so pretty... The first one looks like zebra cake more... I would say that your cakes are the westerner kind because they are made from Martha Stewart's recipes... Mine is more Asian!!! LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena I loved the marbling effect in your butter cake, they looked so beautiful. Like you, I am always more interested to see how the cake turned out instead of eating it, especially marbled or zebra cake. Well done Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one has the wow effect but the 2nd one should taste nicer with more butter....nice crumbs too for both cakes:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice marble effects. Teach me leh - I never seem to get such nice effects. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, i was mesmerised and charmed by the swirls on your cake at first... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butter cake or marble butter cake, they are my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have make mine too with dollops of cocoa batter for the marble effect. Love your marble especial the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to bake marble cakes too just to see the swirls. Too bad I am away now, otherwise I will bake one quickly to join in the fun. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, your marbling is very distinct and prominent. Makes me feel like I also want to bake a butter cake and "conteng-conteng".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena! I certainly agree with you that it can be more exciting to see how the marbling turned out than how the cake taste :) The swirls look really pretty for the 1st one, very delicate yet distinct!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Really nice Tips. Thanks to sharing wonderful Tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, like many others, marble cake is my favourite. Thanks to Bake Along to choose this theme. Now I have list of them to try. Yours look very chocolaty, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena!!!
    I think your Chocolate Marble Cake looks gorgeous! I am sooooooo bad when it comes to marbling. It usually looks like mish mush when I get done and not very appetizing. Yours looks delicious and oh so "purty" too:) Thanks for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Usually I just cincai swirl here and swirl there with the stick, and just fingers crossed and hope for the best! Haha. I think your marble cake looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, NOW you've made me crave for a piece of marble cake :) Looks moist and totally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena dear, I missed having my homemade butter cake. You just tempted to bake one.too. Btw, I just organizing a brand new event called the 'International Yeasted Recipe'. Hopefully, you're manage to join the fun too with your wonderful creation that made with yeast. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Enjoy & have a great day ahead.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You nailed this! The marbling is perfect... I'm drooling looking at this buttery cake. Need to find a clean and healthy version of this. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena, a gorgeous looking marbled cake, I love particularly that slice..so beautifully marbled.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena, your cakes are gorgeous. That first one is quite stunning but I'm with you; I'd rather have it taste really good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful and I bet it is moist and delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, your marble cake looks much yummier than some bakeries. That's a fact cos some bakeries, by looking at it you can tell if it's moist or dry. Your's look moist the way it should be. You-know-who love to bake this when we were small and she was just learning to bake at that time. Me, being the younger one, will eat it and each time I eat her marble cake, i have this dizzy spell. After that when she bakes it, i tell her i'm not going to eat it as it makes me dizzy..kakakak. until today, i've never touch a marble cake. maybe i should give it a try ya..

    ReplyDelete
  23. my tea time with a cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI Lena, WOW! Love this marble cake of yours! Looks so impressive & yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena, the marble effect is so beautiful. You have done it so well.
    I love butter cake! Going make this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena, your marbled cake is so pretty with the creative chocolate marble design, and yummy buttery and super moist. I love the recipe you adapted, and do want to make this soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Honestly, I think your marbling is quite beautiful... there is something deliciously surreal about it. Yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love to cut into marble cake too as I love to see the marble design! Your cake swirls are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena, love your marble cake, pretty cake swirls and make me think of having a slice right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with you how exciting it is to make the swirls, every cake will have the unique marble. Your marble cake has a perfect swirl, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so good--I'd love to have a piece for breakfast right now!

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh my word! You have to be the ultimate baker to me:)) WOW

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lena , the swirl looks really pretty and such a delicious butter cake ! The last time I've made marbled cake , the marbling mostly settled at the bottom of the cake and I did hesitate whether to call it marbled cake lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, the marble swirls look so pretty. Lovely clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lena,
    I agree with you, baking the marble cake is more exciting then eating it :p
    Love the marble swirls on your loaf cake, looks nice!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice post, i hope everyone will like your post..

    ReplyDelete
  38. I agree with you the recipe I used from martha don't look that nice but taste good and dense.

    ReplyDelete