Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake


I am losing my blogging mojo.. dont know where has it gone to. I am not really that busy and am now hoping just to catch up and revive that blogging momentum of mine. I have seen few of my blogger friends made this during the Nigella Lawson - Cook Lika A Star event, sometime last year and they were all happy about this cake. I made this last month and tell you, i am a lousy blogger. I cant even find my notes when i jotted it down somewhere on my little book, the texture and the baking time.. All i can remember is that it is a nice cake, not entirely bursting with flavours but a simple and good enough for a chocolate cake that comes with some hint of oranges. I am sure you will like it too.


Recipe ( from kitchen flavours, adapted from the book, Nigella Kitchen )
i made this in a 9"x5" loaf pan
160gm unsalted butter, oftened, plus extra for greasing
2 tbsps golden syrup ( such as Lyle's ) or dark corn syrup
3/4 cup dark or light brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbps good quality unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 eggs
zest of 2 oranges and juice of 1 orange

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F/163C and line your loaf pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
Beat the soft butter with syrup, if you dab a little oil on the syrup spoon, the syrup shouldnt stick to the spoon and beat till you have a fairly smooth cafe americano cream, though the sugar will have a bit grit on it.
Mix the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder together and beat into the syrup mixture 1 tablespoon of these dry ingredients before beating in 1 egg. Then add another few spoonfuls of dry ingredients before beating in the 2nd egg.
Carry on beating the remaining dry ingredients and then add in the orange zest and juice. The batter may look dimpled or slightly curdled but it's okay.
Pour and scrap the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 mins, though check 5 mins before and can keep in the oven 5 mins longer if needed. The cake tester may not come out entirely clean as this point of the cake though light, there;s a hint of inner stickiness. Let cool a little in its pan on the wire rack and then turn out with care and leave completely to cool on the rack.



I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organised by Bake for Happy KidsMy Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal


Also linking this post to Cook Like A Star organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, co hosting with Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Mich of Piece of Cake


36 comments:

  1. Hmmm...yumm.. the cake looks marvelous. Wish I can have a slice too.
    Hope you're having a lovely day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, it does happen to me sometimes too..not too busy but yet just cant find some time to blog some time. nevertheless, this orange cake you bake, looked very delicious. it looks very chocolatey and moist...loved a slice now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy!

    I think this is pretty common as sometimes I do feel reluctant to update my blog.
    Well, stay it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena,
    Welcome back to bloggerland, pal! Haha! And such a beautiful cake too. Yes, this is a nice and moist cake, simple and great with a cup of tea of coffee.
    You want to dunk the cinnamon bread sticks in kopi? But I've already prepared a big mug of hot Milo for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Seem like many are making this... I really need to roll up my sleeves and make it!! I love how sharp your loaf turned out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I feel that way too sometimes. I think it's pretty normal..at times, I feel that baking has become a chore even! But I cannot resist when I see pretty photos like yours. That is one perfect gorgeous chocolate orange loaf cake. It looks rich and luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, I made this cake too and I really enjoyed it... its tiring to blog and I can understand why you feel this way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, you cake looks good! Sometimes I got no mood also. Sit in front of the computer and my mind is blank hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was totally delicious; nice recipe I think art of cooking is not something everyone has the equal grip over. Read more about for cooking visit now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chocolate loaf simply look so gorgeous, just perfect. In fact, now Im already so lacking in blogging already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful loaf! Lena, just blog when you feel like it. It doesn't matter. It's your blog:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a co-incidence, I too posted this today! It's indeed a very yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, This loaf cake is very popular among the bloggers. I love the chocolately and orange fragrance in the cake. Love your pictures!
    Thanks for joining this month LTU - Orange theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena. Your cake sure looks good, i love how distinct the edges are :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, this looks amazing! Love the smooth and light texture. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the orange and chocolate combo! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, I remembered this cake and it was tasty...even my sis loves it and has been baking it very often! Yours looks really perfect! so even at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, I like the texture of your cake - looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena!
    I really need to try this chocolate orange combination that's so popular these days. I just can't wrap my head around it but I'm sure it must be good. Your cake looks so darn good, what cpould there be not to like?

    I wouldn't worry too much about not having your mojo, it happens to everyone although, I'm not sure everyone will admit it, lol...Just go with the flow. You're better off not even thinking about it because then it just tugs at you and guilt sets in. I'm not quite sure why. After all, it is your blog! Not to worry, we will be here for whenever you feel like sharing:) Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...Stay well:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, Ive been eyeing this recipe and now you are making me wanna do this soon. but now cannot cos we are facing water rationing here in KL. sigh! have to be patient and wait for the weekend where there'll be water on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chocolate and Orange tastes so good together!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had to laugh. Some times when I think I am losing my blogging mojo I think about joining Fridays with Dorie to get it back! And then I realize I didn't write down the date I started my seeds or something else important for a post and now it will need to wait a year since it's seasonal. Don't you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lena, this loaf cake looks moist and rich! I'm also a lousy blogger too, after baking if I didn't keep the photos and recipe in the draft then it means that will not come out forever because I don't do a proper filing for my note's recipe and it is gone forever! However, if the photos and recipe is in the draft and I didn't post immediately also means it may be sitting there for months! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks perfectly cooked to me! I think it is amazing and i love the hints of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my favorite cake, yummy! thanks for sharing this lovely recipe...

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Same here lah ..... very, very lagging in blogging nowadays! :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lena , ditto ! *sigh* I cooked several dishes that I'm planning to post but too lazy to take photos and a much less desire to write a blog post to go with each dish :P This cake actually is on my to-bake list , will have to grab some of yours since I'm not in the mood to bake .....

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing; I love how simple it is.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome! I love the combination of chocolate and orange...looks delicious Lena.
    Thanks for the recipe...hope you are having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Talking about losing the blogging mojo....I am so with you! Hopefully the nice citrus fragrance of this cake will brighten everything. I do need some of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Lena, it's been a while since I've commented on your blog...but then, you were MIA for a while, as well. I adore your simple; yet absolutely beautiful, light, moist, and supper yummy chocolate-orange cake. How could anyone go wrong with Nigella's recipe...even if we do a little adaptation to make it our own! I also love the 'ease' of making it in a loaf pan. Superb! Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. From the cake texture, I am sure this is a wonderful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Lena,

    Losing your blogging mojo? I know it is hard to keep up after losing the momentum. Blogging or not, I hope that we still have the connection at our bake-along. Can't have bake-along without you!!! Gosh! The Maria Carey's Without You song is in my head now!!!!

    At least, good that you have baked this cake and enjoyed it. Losing notes or blogging it or not are the least important things to do :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Lena,
    From the look of your chocolate cake. I know it is really tasty.
    Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
    mui

    ReplyDelete