Monday, April 28, 2014

Pajeon ( Green Onion Pancake )


Made this quick green onion pancake over the weekend. Its main ingredient is of course spring onions which in korea they call this pancake pajeon. A very simple recipe that i think you can just remember it offhand.
Instead of adding salt, a little korean soybean paste is used and as i do not have any korean soybean paste with me, i have used japanese miso. I read that the korean soybean paste has even a much stronger taste than the japanese miso. But we only need a little amount here so for me this miso is good enough. Anyway, the taste of miso is hardly detectable but brings some saltiness to the pancake and for me, it is just as good with or without the dipping sauce :)


The next time when i want to make this , i'm going to spread the green onions a little bit more in the pan and add a little more water to the pancake batter to get it cooked more thoroughly.


Recipe ( from maangchi.com )
makes 1 pancake
Ingredients
green/spring onions, about 8 stalks
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp of soybean paste ( i used miso )
pinch of sugar

Directions
Cut the spring onions into sections , about 4-5 inches long
Mix well the flour, water, soybean paste and sugar in a bowl
Pour generous amount of oil into the pan and put in the spring onions. Arrange them nicely next to each other( can refer to the link above )
Then pour in the batter in zigzag and fry till the bottom is golden brown. Flip over and continue frying till the other bottom is golden brown again. Remove from pan and serve immediately.

Dipping sauce
2 tsbp soy sauce ( i used kikkoman)
1 tbsp vinegar
pinch of sugar
chopped green onions
some sesame seeds

Mix them all together to make dipping sauce.

I am linking this post to Asian Food Fest : Korea hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts

22 comments:

  1. I love this! I only buy green onions to put in my egg salad.. Thanks for this! Now I won't need to leave the rest in the fridge only to go bad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. something new to me and looks healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love having this at Korean restaurant :) Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is really loaded with green onions. They look really tasty, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this kind of pancake sound special to me! Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love Korean pancakes and this looks spot on. Will keep a lookout on the difference of jap and Korean bean paste... Didn't know they were different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! I made a version of your creamy miso salmon pasta recently (http://artofnaturalliving.com/2014/04/22/earth-day-sustainable-oceans-miso-salmon-pasta/), so I have even have miso on hand. Ramps (wild spring onions) will be up in a few weeks, so I have pinned this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena,

    Your Pajeon looks crispier than the ones that I have cooked before.

    I have used the recipe with glutinous rice flour from the Korean cookbook that you gave me and they are pretty good :D And I think yours look good too!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple but delicious and good for anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena,
    I have been thinking of Korean pancakes lately! Haha!
    This looks delicious and would be perfect for weekend family teatime snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, this is a new dish to me! It looks yummy, love to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    I love this kind of pancakes..I love all kind of pancakes anyway..lol
    Yours look inviting. I am going to try this out!
    Thanks for sharing this simple recipe :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena!
    Believe it or not, Marion has requestd pancakes for dinner tonight. Boy do I wish I had some green onions. She sure would be surprised, lol! I love that you added a dash of miso. As you know, we are celebrating Soy Foods Month here. I'm going to have to buy me some green onions and surrpise Marion with this dish.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...It's nice to "see" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious, will be sure to try to make this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eh,I have all the ingredients but it's 10.47 pm now so I can't be on time to submit this post to the event…just too bad! Looks delicious and I would be making this tomorrow for breakfast if I am not too lazy:P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks sooo good because I love spring onions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, I adore spring onion pancakes, and yours is the most beautifully done that I have ever seen. Love the dipping sauce you made with it. A must make for sure! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa my favourite.
    I never realise add some miso paste in it.
    Thank you Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena , I made the Chinese version before and really keen on trying this simply delicious version as well :D I have all ingredients on hand , hope my laziness won't rear its ugly head again lol

    ReplyDelete