Monday, September 15, 2014

Popovers


I am glad that popovers can be made using a muffin pan. I once saw a popover pan selling here for about RM80 ( USD25), well that's rather expensive for a pan, unless i am baking popovers quite regularly then i might consider getting one. I've never made popovers before, i have looked at the pictures of some popovers in the internet and i was like kind of excited to see how tall they were going to rise in the oven when i make them and according to wikipedia, popover is a light,  hollow roll made from an egg batter, similar to Yorkshire Pudding, typically baked in a dedicated popover pan or muffin tins. I am also not sure myself what is a Yorkshire Pudding but after making these, i think they are quite like plain profiteroles to me.




2nd batch

 I am also glad that popovers need just very basic ingredients to make them; eggs, flour and milk. However to me, i find them a little tricky too making them. My first batch came out a little pale and not as crispy as i would have expected them. Good to know that the process of making popovers are simple enough , i made another batch the next day. It came out very much better with some adjustment made on the baking temperature and warming the milk.


3rd batch...i noticed that the browning is different fom the 2nd batch ..perhaps due to the warm milk that i used in the 2nd batch

Yesterday morning when i woke up, i just suddenly have the urge to make popovers again. I wanted to try another recipe so i just made a small batch. You will also realise that all if not,  most recipes will have an equal proportion of milk and flour. The batter was thinner this time , they were quite like the second batch but these i find them more airy, remember the 'hollow' thing describing the popovers...


Some i spreaded with jam and some on poached egg. I suggest not making a big recipe if you cant finish eating all at once, have our mouths ready because if we are going to leave the popovers sit around, they will lose its crispiness and also deflate fairly quickly.




Recipe ( from kingarthurflour.com)
recipe has been scaled down
Ingredients
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 plus 1/4 cup milk
1/4tsp salt
95gm flour
1tbsp melted butter

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Position rack on lower shel
f. Use a standard 12 cup or 6 cup metal muffin pan, one swhose cups are close to 2.5" wide and 1.5" deep. Grease the pan throughly. Make sure the oven is up to temperature before begin making the popover batter.
2. Use a wire whisk to beat the milk, egg and salt. Whisk till the egg and milk is well combined, with no streaks of the yolks showing.
3. Add the flour all at once, beat with a wire whisk till frothy, there shouldnt be any large lumps in the batter, small lumps are okay OR if using a stand mixer, whisk on high speed for 20 seconds . Stop, scrape the sides of the bowl, and whisk for further 20 or 30 seconds at high speed, till frothy. Stir in the melted butter, combining quickly.
4.Pour the batter into the muffin cup , filling them about 3/4 or 2/3 full. Make sure oven is at 450F/230C. Place the pan on the lower shelf of the oven and bake for 20 minutes without opening the door of the oven. Reduce the 350F/177C  and bake for additional 10-15mins until they are deep, golden brown. If the popovers seems to be browning too quickly, position an oven rack at the very top of the oven, and pt a cookie sheet on it, to shield the popovers from the direct heat.
5. If plan to serve the popovers immediately, remove them from oven and stick the tip of the popovers with a knife to release steam to prevent sogginess.
6.If we want the popovers to hold their shape longer without deflating , we can bake for additional 5 more minutes ( total 40 mins ) if we can do so without them becoming too dark.




get the InLinkz code

23 comments:

  1. Good morning Lena, your lovely popovers attracted me to your house ... yummy ... but I've never tasted Yorkshire Pudding or popovers :( Can courier some to me ? lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena! This is the first time I heard of popovers ha..ha.. But from the first photo I immediately thought of Yorkshire Pudding which I saw Jamie Oliver bake on TV. I love that last photo of your poached egg sandwiched between the popover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,

    Wow! You have baked this recipe for 3 times!!!

    Like Joyce, yours are also hollow inside. I wonder if mine will be like yours and Joyce if I bake them with more batter??? hmmm...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lena, I had tried baking popovers years back lol! I remembered the puffiness and did a happy dance but later when I wanted to eat them, they don't look very appetising any more! My boys avoided them like the plague and the dog was happy lol! so, I shall skip this bake along since all the boys are not at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made a popover egg sandwich! I've had a pan forever, but haven't used t yet... I might change that this weekend!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hv always wondered what popovers tasted like... now you gave me a very good idea. hmm, sounds like thjs isnt something ez huh? your experiences help.. will start with small batches since it doesnt keep well...

    otherwise, i love now you bake yours in muffin pan.. they look good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, your popovers are perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wanted to try popovers long time ago but never get down to do it. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have not tried baking popovers before, looks interesting for me to try it out. Hope I can find time to join you for this bake along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww Lena I love your popovers !! Look wonderful!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lena, What a clever idea to use popovers as sandwiches! I have some leftovers, can make for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen popover pans at Meyer Factory sale few years ago and didn't even know what it was before :D I've been at Joyce and saw her gorgeous cheese popovers , yours look perfectly-baked , too ! The one with the poached egg looks sinful *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh Lena, your popover looks so puffy ! Wish I can have some too. Splendid !
    Hope you're having a fabulous week.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena,
    I like it that you've stuffed your popovers with eggs! A perfect popover sandwich indeed! You made it 3 times. Popovers are really easy to make and fuss-free. I'll be making a sweet version if I have time this week.
    Popover pans are so darn expensive, I'll just use muffin pans instead and spend that money for a good cookbook! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. popovers are amazing and yours look divine! Buttery and the perfect texture and pop

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful popovers :D
    Genius in using muffin pan, I won't buy if its that costly too :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena,
    Popovers is so interesting.
    Can even sandwich with egg!
    I have cheese in mind... since I have tried the sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Popovers is uncommon here too. But I saw something similar in ikea but it's muffin pan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your popovers look so pretty, I love the shape and the big pocket of air inside...looks awesome Lena.
    Hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Should love to try to make it for this event.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love popovers. I actually own two sets of pans though I don't make them nearly often enough. Yours came out beautifully in the muffin pan!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena, your popovers are amazing, perfectly puffed up, and super yummy. I made mine at least two years ago, and posted it. I don't think it would qualify to link up with that...lol...a little too late for it I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so lovely idea...never baked popovers :)

    ReplyDelete